Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blog 9

1.Thesis / Thesis Statement (Merrian-Webster Pocket Dictionary): A proposition to be argued for, essay embodying results of original research.

In my own words: I always thought that a Thesis was a twenty plus paper you wrote your fourth year in college to graduate (In other words a big waste of time and pointless if you’re going into a field where you would never have to actually write said type of reports) After taking ENG 99 I learned the definition, but I would not have been so technical in my answer. I just would have said it is a statement that can be debated/argued.

2.Research (Merrian-Webster Pocket Dictionary): Careful or diligent search especially for new knowledge.

In my own words: Finding out information any way you can to prove what you think, or just to know. (I.E. looking up information to written my midterm paper.)

3.Argument (Merrian-Webster Pocket Dictionary): Reasons given to persuade, or dispute with words.

In my own words: An argument is a heated disagreement between two or more people. (I.E. when a debate gets your adrenaline pumped up)

4.Claim (Merrian-Webster Pocket Dictionary): Demand or take as the rightful owner.

In my own words: A claim is when you made an assumption about something, or a person that you thought to be true or just your opinion. (I.E. He took my pen, or this is my coat)

5.Reasons (Merrian-Webster Pocket Dictionary): Explanation or justification for an action or belief.

In my own words: the cause of doing something, or thinking the way you do. (I.E. I work to sleep in a bed)


6.Evidence (Merrian-Webster Pocket Dictionary): Outward sign, proof or testimony.

In my own words: I would just say proof. Prove either with visibility, or statement that cannot be argued with what you assume or know is fact. … (I.E. another word for humans is Homosapians.)

7.MLA Citation Style (http://www.library.cornell.edu/resrch/citmanage/mla): MLA citation style refers to the rules and conventions established by the Modern Language Association for acknowledging sources used in a research paper.

In my own words: Before ENA 99 I never knew there was such a thing as MLA Citation. If I remember correctly it is giving the source of the information. When we read Stepford Wives in ENA 99 we had to write about the book with examples so when we find an example at the end of it we had to write in parenthesis the authors last name and the page number(s)

No comments:

Post a Comment