Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blog 6 ( It's been 10 years)

What can I say about the 1999 four Academy Award Winner Blockbuster movie The Matrix, that has not already been said? Well for starters from what I can remember when I went to go see it the second week it was out was that it was a pretty cool movie (sci-fi action has never really been my thing) the actors where good, the choreography was great, and the special effects where somewhat the first of its kind. I say that (first of its kind) because I remember before The Matrix back in like 97-98 when swing for some strange reason was making a comeback the Gap had the swing style commercials choreographed by Toni Basil and that is really where the jump up in the air pause turn the camera around really came from, but because they where commercials people associate that special effect to the Matrix. The movie was such a worldwide phenomenon that it was nominated for a total of thirty six awards worldwide won a total of twenty eight awards four of them were Academy Awards. The special effects in that movie were so ground breaking not only did it walk away with the Academy Awards for best special effects it has sadly been spoofed by every type of movie, cartoon, and TV show known to man? Now has far as the plot I’m sure alot of people got confused such as when they saw they saw “Dark city, and Total Recall”….(the movie not the TV show) but it did a pretty good job of not being so confusing that you didn’t understand what was going on or where they were. The story it self of machines taking over has been told in other films before the Matrix such as ( Hardware, Maxium Overdrive, and of course Terminator...just to name a few) I thought the casting was really good even though actors such as Will Smith, Nicolas Cage, Sandra Bullock, and Sean Connery turned down the offers. (I guess Keanu Reeves didn’t have much to lose so he said why not). This was one film were race did not play a part in the plot it worked perfectly fine with the cast that was so diverse in race, and culture. The Leader(Morpheus) was African American, The all knowing Oracle was not only African American, but in her sixties or seventies, The two people who knew the most about gadgets, software, and "cybertronics" where also African American, one half Chinese. I go back and forth with the Oracle great she is African American, but did she really have to live in such a bad looking neighborhood? My one pet peeve about the movie was the whole love interest thing. Is it really that hard to have a movie where there is no love interest? Neo wasn’t so sure he was “The One” but he still fought on in the Matrix, but after losing and getting shot and dying only when Trinity whispers to him (him in real life) the he has to be the one because the Oracle told her that she would be in love with him, and so since she loved him then he as to be “The One” Neo comes back to life and all of a sudden he is in full control of all of his powers. I thought not only was it unnecessary, but totally cliché. I was left feeling that if it hadn’t been for that Neo would have just died. Now I’m totally against slavery but when you have a life that is good and you don’t know that you in some kind of computer program why leave that? The only way I can see leaving a situation like that is if you knew that in the real world you would have to struggle and fight just has hard then there would be no point. I felt them wanting to free people from that life just to live in a world that has really no type of resource is just selfish on their part. I say just leave me plugged in until there is a world I would want to leave in it’s not like I’m going to know the difference.

4 comments:

  1. This would be great as a movie review, but explain more about what the matrix reality really is and on your personal decision to not be "unplugged".

    ReplyDelete
  2. you gave a lot of opinion which is great but not so insightful on the subject. theres a lot of information that does little in giving a response to the movie but i love how in depth you were willing to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA lol, you would be a good critic.
    but anyway.

    "I felt them wanting to free people from that life just to live in a world that has really no type of resource is just selfish on their part."
    When you say resource, what do you mean? like hope, means to keep on living -
    but i can understand your wanting to stay pluggued in,some splinters just better left alone huh ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your essay and you started something about "The Matrix" it was almost like a sci-fi action movie. I never think of it that why and what you said is true. Th is something I need to keep the next time I watch it again.By the way,I enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete